Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get started?

Give us a call at 828-506-5701 or fill out our contact form here. We will talk about your concerns and determine if an evaluation is recommended. From there we will schedule the initial appointment. 

If your child is between the ages of birth to 3 years old, we recommend you contact your local Children's Developmental Services Agency (CDSAs) to determine if your child qualifies for serves through the Infant Toddler Program. If you child is found to be eligible for services, Wood SLP Services is an approved provider in Rutherford and Cleveland. Use the links below to learn more:

What is speech therapy and what does a therapist do?

Many children need help communicating. This could be due to a speech or language delay or disorder, an illness or accident, or other diagnoses, such as autism spectrum disorder or down syndrome. Speech and language therapy is designed to address speech, language, social skills, play skills, memory and attention, and literacy skills. 

Speech-language pathologists are the professionals who are specially trained and qualified to assess and treat speech and language disorders. Speech-language pathologists use many different therapy techniques that are based on evidence and have been shown to be effective in treating speech and language disorders. 

Does my child need speech therapy?

That is often a tough question for any parent, caretaker, or teacher to answer on their own. Often the people who spend the most time with a child are the first to be concerned about the child's development. If you or someone who knows your child have expressed concerns, contact Wood SLP Services to discuss the speech, language, play, or social skills concerns. Together we will determine if an evaluation is recommended. 

We accept referrals from pediatricians, other professionals, and parents. 

Do you take insurance?

We are in the process of becoming in-network for Medicaid and Blue Cross Blue Shield. We also accept private pay clients. If you have another insurance provider, please contact us to discuss the options for submitting your invoices for out-of-network reimbursement.